- 1 teaspoon Matcha
- Whisk (Chasen)
- Bamboo Chashaku Matcha Spoon
- Tray (Not necessary but matcha is messy, so it's good to invest in one)
- First warm the chawan with hot water and pour it out. Dry the chawan completely.
- With the chashaku, add around 1 teaspoon of matcha into a sieve, which has been placed over the chawan.
- Using the bottom of the chashaku, sift through to aerate the powder and get rid of any clumps.
- Heat your water, it should be around 180 degrees - not boiling
- Pour in 2-3 ounces
- Take thumb and forefinger of non-dominant hand, and place on edges of chawan for stability
- Now with your whisk, begin by scraping down the sides.
- Then whisk in a back and forth motion - this will create the froth. A zig zag motion is ideal, and it should be fairly vigorous. Try to avoid scraping the bottom of the bowl.
- Your matcha is ready when a layer of tiny bubbles has covered the surface.
- Enjoy straight from the Chawan or in a glass.