- 1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus 1 teaspoon for greasing the Aggcoddler
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Fill a 2.5 quart saucepot just over halfway and place over medium-high heat. (You can test the water level by placing the empty coddler in the pot to make sure you don’t have too much or too little. The water should come up about ¾ of the way.) Bring to a boil.
- In a small mixing bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, whisk together the butter and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla extract. Add the milk and whisk in the flour and cocoa powder mixture until smooth.
- Fill each coddler half of the way up with the cake batter. Secure the lid with the rubber band and carefully place in the boiling water. If necessary (if the water is evaporating too quickly), place a domed lid on top and steam for 12-15 minutes, covered until the cake is set.
- Using heat-safe gloves or tongs, carefully remove the coddlers from the boiling water before removing the rubber band and lid.
- Allow to cool completely, 20 minutes.
- Top with chocolate sauce or powdered sugar.