- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (or almond flour if you're gluten-free!)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 pinch cardamom
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 12 strips of paper with fortunes
- Preheat oven to 375℉. In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg whites and extracts.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the wet and whisk until you have a smooth batter.
- Grease a cookie sheet and then spread a tablespoon of batter into a 3-inch circle. Only bake three cookies at a time so you have time to mold the cookies before they cool.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes, until the edges are browned. Working quickly, use a spatula to flip a circle over.
- Place a fortune in the center, fold the circle in half, and then pick it up and bend the folded side over the edge of a bowl to get the fortune cookie shape.
- Place in a muffin tin so the shape holds while the cookies cool. Repeat, working in batches of 3, until no batter or fortunes remain. Enjoy!